Sunday, January 4, 2009

Zambia Tip #9

Above is the ticket Alimon got us the other day while we were riding in our 5-ton truck, Junior. We were (as usual) speeding and we get pulled over in a Zambian Police speed trap.  So Alimon gets out of the truck to go speak with the police officer.  At this point I specifically tell Alimon not to lie to the cop.  Alimon walks off.  A few minutes later the police officer comes back to the truck and says to me "So you're South African and you are headed to the airport?"  Well of course I can't lie to him ("Thou Shalt Not Lie").  So the cop realizes Alimon has lied to him and now he's mad.  So now he's going to write us a ticket for like 240,000 kwacha (about $50).  Then I tell him we're building a village for orphan children and he says he'll write me a ticket for only 70,000 kwacha (about $15).  I paid him 70,000 (cash on the spot) and he made the receipt out for 67,500.  I guess he pocketed the other 2,500 for a job well done.

No comments: