Sunday, December 28, 2008

Zambia Tip #8

Above is a picture of Alimon Mwenda, a driver for Family Legacy Missions Zambia.  Alimon drives our 5-ton truck, Junior.  I ride with Alimon every day as Junior is my primary mode of transportation and is what we use to buy materials (cement, lumber, etc.).  Having a great driver is essential to enjoying your stay in Zambia.  Alimon provides the following essential services:
  • Knows the secret horn honking language that all the other Zambian drivers know
  • Knows all the shortcuts to avoid traffic
  • Knows how to fix Junior when it breaks down using only a dirty rag and an old wrench
  • Keeps me from getting robbed/killed when I buy materials from some of the shadiest people you've ever seen
Alimon is a great driver and is very entertaining to be around.  His English is just o.k. and I don't speak Nyanja so sometimes our communications are a little fuzzy.  For instance, when Alimon is late to pick me up I will call him and ask where he is currently located. These are typical Alimon responses:

"I'm just near." - This means he is at least 30 minutes away.

"I'm just this side." - He's nowhere near where I am but in his mind he's not that far away.

"I'm coming!" - This could mean Alimon is in Tanzania, Botswana, or anywhere else on the planet.  It's going to be a long time before he picks me up.

We cook lunch for the workers at the Village.  I give Alimon money and a shopping list and Alimon goes and buys the food from a place called the Soweto Market.  Non-Zambians don't (and shouldn't) go to Soweto.  However, prices are very cheap.  I want to go with Alimon to Soweto but he doesn't think it's a good idea.  On several occasions I've asked Alimon to describe Soweto.

Randy: "Alimon, what is Soweto like?"
Alimon: "Madness!"
Randy: "Madness?"
Alimon: "Confusion!"
Randy: "Madness and Confusion?"
Alimon: "Madness, Confusion, and Mud!"

That's pretty much all Alimon will say about Soweto.  If and when I ever make it to the Soweto Market I'll blog about it.

No comments: