

This is our 5-ton truck,
Junior, hopelessly stuck in the mud. This happened on Christmas Eve. We had just finished a Christmas party for the workers at the Village and we decided to give everyone a ride home so they wouldn't have to walk. About this time Alimon (my driver) suggested that we take a "shortcut". It is currently the rainy season and many Zambian "roads" are not paved. Anyway, before we took the shortcut I asked Alimon if we would get stuck. His response - "No Problem". So of course we got stuck. We had 20 people with us at the time we got stuck so we all pushed and pulled and huffed and puffed. The result of our efforts was 10 feet of progress over the course of an hour. We were only 30 feet from a real road. At this point I finally came to my senses and flagged down another truck and paid him 60,000 kwacha (about $12) to pull us out. The moral of this story? Never trust an Alimon shortcut and the next time you get stuck in the mud use your wallet instead of your muscles to get out!
1 comment:
Alimon is hilarious!! I'm sure there's never a dull moment with him as your driver, Randy! :) I'm glad you have a sense of humor about his crazy ideas! :)
Post a Comment