So you're coming to Zambia and you want a recommendation for an authentic Zambian culinary delight. You're interested in a real delicacy, something special you can share with your Zambian friends. I suggest the following:

VINKUBALA!
Yes, they are caterpillars. I'm not a big fan but Zambians really like Vinkubala. You can eat them raw or (like everything else here) you can fry it in cooking oil. That is my preferred method of consumption.

That Vinkubala in my mouth kind of looks like the ear creature in The Wrath of Khan!
Heather did try Vinkubula but she swears she's never eating it again. Okay so maybe you are not in the mood for caterpillars. Last Saturday I ate the last Snickers bar we had brought from America. Yesterday I really needed a candy bar so I headed to Lusaka's nicest store, Game (a variety store similar to a 1992 Kmart) and purchased a Nestle TEX.

A Better Version of a Kit Kat
Admittedly the name reminded me of Texas and that is part of the reason I purchased it but this is a tasty candy bar. I also very much enjoy fried chicken and Zambian fried chicken is the best! The chicken is fresh and they fry it in cooking oil and it is DELICIOUS. But can you get fried chicken goodness from chips?

The answer: Not Really!
3 comments:
Sneaker Chips?!? Chicken Sneaker Chips, no less. Hmmmm - it's so contrary to what sounds good that it must be good. What cleaver marketing! As for the bugs, no sale there! Enjoy the chips, not the bugs; unless the bugs are good on the chips, because, what could be better than sneaker chips with bugs on them? "But they taste like chicken." is the expected response.
God bless,
JZ
Hey Randy! Great posts by you guys!! Hope things are well. We are kickin it in your old hometown of CR. Check out our blog for the latest if you have some free time!!! http://theolsenhaus.blogspot.com/ , You guys are in our prayers!
Oh yeah...and Maggie says hello!
Post a Comment