Thursday, December 25, 2008

Zambia Tip #5

The above picture shows myself and one of my best friends in the world, Innocent Phiri (Phiri means "mountain").  Innocent and I have a close relationship.  Zambians are very friendly and honest about their feelings.  At times this causes some discomfort for American males.  Let me give an example of a recent text message I received from Innocent:

"Randy, i never stop thinking and talking about you. Most of my workmates know about it. No matter what happens, I shall always live to thank God for u. I couldn't imagine not seeing u for a long time. I am really looking forward to seeing u on friday.  goodnit" 

and he sent me this one on Christmas:

"Mi amigo, i am not too wel coz 2day i went 2 the police 2 report 4 a missing person & the policeman slapped & told me that missing u is not an Offence."

These cultural differences exist not just in text messages but in personal greetings.  If I run into another male in Texas we may grunt "hey" and then briefly discuss if the Cowboys are going to make the playoffs.  In Zambia another man will often come up to you and atttempt to start holding hands.  This is perfectly normal.  

My personal policy: 
I will hold hands for up to 20 seconds but if he tries to interlock our fingers I'm out of there!

No comments: