Sunday, March 8, 2009

TROTTERS!

Time for my lunch at the Tree of Life Children's Village.  The orange liquid is soup (cooking oil not water based) and the white material is nshima.  Nshima is similar to a very fine and dry form of grits. Nshima is eaten by Zambians at lunch & dinner, every day.  They never tire of nshima; it is the staple food of Zambia.  It is served plain (no salt, butter, garlic, etc.) Whatever you eat with the nshima is called relish.  Can you guess what the relish was for today's meal?  I'll give you a better look:

TROTTERS!
If you can't tell what this is it is a "trotter"... as in the part of a pig that the pig uses to "trot" around on.  No you don't eat the toe nails and no you don't even taste the hair.  Truthfully there isn't that much good meat on a trotter; just a lot of fat and some tendons.

Here I'm taking a bite but usually I just suck on the trotter to get the flavor!
Our workers at the Tree of Life Children's Village love trotters and it's always a treat when I bring some!

No comments: